After a few canceled shoots, nothing has happened much over the past couple of weeks. The highlight was learning the basics of Davinci Resolve–a color correcting software–and learning RGB scopes and the ins and outs of basic color correcting within a project. I’m learning FCPX at a great speed, and I’m getting experience on shooting with a green screen. Nonetheless, I’m learning a great deal regardless of the lack of actual shoots.
This week was rather slow due to in-house projects nearing their deadlines. The basic skills that I’ve gained is essentially the safe encoding and delivering/transmitting media and how to render video. It requires a lot of… down time.
Week 7 has successfully been my most productive week since I joined the team. The week consisted of on-location shooting at the Arena District as well as a local brewery. I was introduced to numerous forms of new equipment (Odyssey, Slider, etc.) and was able to see it being implemented on the go. We also completed and shot a “Top 10” skit using “The Tonight Show” set that we built in-house. Finally, I seem to have completed the total organization and specification of the entire B-Roll library (7 TB worth and roughly 6,000 clips) which has ultimately made me one with FCPX. Sorry Premiere.
The past few weeks have been comprised of me completing the tasks that I mentioned in the past couple weeks. There were a few shoots in-house though our big “on-location” shoot was canceled. Next week we have some run & gun shoots (quick shoots with natural sets/lighting and small, mobile cameras). A large ongoing project is the recreation of The Tonight Show set that will be the basis of an executive-based shoot. The progress is shown in the featured picture.
This week I took part in my first ever “on location”shoot at Refinery 191. This on location shoot took an entire day, and was a 3-camera setup. I was able to take a step back and view the shoot with both the director and editor to get a better idea on what to look for when directing/shooting!
I was assigned the first official “intern” task, aka a task that is actually vital to the team here at Nationwide. I was given clips and projects stemming from 2009, and was asked to put all 6 TB of these clips from the past 8 years in chronological order, and ensure that they can be easily identifiable via keywords (like hashtags). Basically, I was able to take all of the B-Roll footage from the past 8 years and make it so that if someone wants a specific clip for B-Roll (or otherwise), they can find it simply through the input of a single or many specific keywords. For example, if you would like a shot of a couple drinking alcohol in the pool during the summer, you could search “pool,” “drinks,” “couple,” “people,” and more. With hundreds of keywords to chose from, any or all will suffice in helping you locate thousands of clips. In the picture below, you can see the massive hard-drive, as well as the numerous categories filed within FCPX.
After learning the ins-and-outs of media management in FCPX I was assigned the task of organizing ALL of Nationwide Insurance’s B-Roll footage. This may seem like a simple task, but the 7-terabyte hard-drive full of media from years of footage is quite a lot of media to handle. I find that this is a useful task simply because I will be able to easily organize massive amounts of media in the future when needed (feature length films, etc). I will officially begin that journey on Week 3, but besides that, I was doing a lot of in-house studio work with a weekly video that is made for the associates of Nationwide. I ran teleprompter, while gaining valuable lighting, camera, and audio advice on this multi-cam (3) shoot. The balance of pre and post production that I have been experiencing has been an amazing hands-on experience so far, and I’m only getting started.